Friday, January 5, 2007

Out of Africa






It was a dream vacation. There was so much. So much. I flirted with the idea of never coming back home. The plants were seductive. My children were the sound of laughter. My husband was brilliant. The whole family was moved. Returning home to Baltimore, Lise said: "we recognize our stuff, we know this is our house but our souls were left behind..." Jody, my brother-in-law in France writes: " sort of out of body to be back- like we came home to the wrong place" I cannot find the words to tell the experience- so I have started three large paintings...

6 comments:

  1. How can I read the rest of the blog if I am days late? It seems you continue your thoughts but not on this page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. more pictures, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tilly, Tal here, love the pics and the web site, hope u and the fam are all good, we missing all of you down in Africa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked for more pictures but never got them...maybe now that Tal posted on your blog you might be persuaded to put some more up...? As soon as I figure out how to burn a CD of pictures I will send you mine--- some of them are fantastic (but Windows isn't making it easy for me!)...I miss it (Africa, Sabi, warthogs) so much! and I know you do too... it's been so long since we left and so many things have happened, but you never really get over Africa, do you? Well...much love. E.
    ps: your paintings are fab & am I seeing you at spring break or Niko's bday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I have not figured out how to respond to comments "anonymous said..." I don't think my photographs were very good, so i haven't posted more of them...but I DO have some paintings in the works...I miss Africa very much. "Miss" seems a very tame word, and wonder if the yearning will pass? Have tried to see the stars the same way, but you know, you have to lean over in a sort of backflip to see them like they are in Africa? Were we really on the far side of this spinning ball?

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...yes! I saw Orion last night and thought to myself, well...the last time I saw it, it was a bit different!

    ReplyDelete