Thursday, February 8, 2007

Happy hour


So... I started fantasizing today about a trip I'll soon be taking to visit my mom and my sisters. We'll be celebrating. This painting was made by sewing together a handful of boarding passes, map fragments, and a rental car agreement. It measures 11 x 13 inches.
I think the daily painting strikes a chord with our society. So much questioning of our purpose, and so many ways to mark the passage of time. I just read about a young lady named Suzan-Lori Parks- who was the first African-American woman awarded the 2002 Pulitzer Prize for drama. Since then she has been writing a play a day, called "365 Days/365 Plays". Now the plays are being produced in an innovative grassroots premiere- every week for a year professional and college theaters around the country are staging plays! The UMass Amherst Rand Theater, as well as Mount Holyoke College's Rooke Theater, are presenting 7 of the plays. Get more info visit www.umass.edu/fac/nwt

1 comment: