Monday, February 5, 2007

View of diner with sundaes to go


I continue with the resist method of painting. The resist method is really freeing me up. I like relinquishing control as well as the surprise factor, when you rub off the cement and see what you've done in the end.
In this painting I attempted to capture a different view of Main street using sketches as reference since I was sitting in one of the buildings pictured. This is the north side of town. Just above the diner is the Millerton Market where I have been painting. Next to that is the BW Eagle Eye clothing store with the blue awning and then above that is the large grey antiques center and then...at the top of the street where the road curves off to the right, is the brilliant orange Saperstein's Department Store. Saperstein's is family run and has been around before time. So long, they even remember my mother when she lived briefly in the area in 1965! They know me, my kids, and just exactly what I am looking for. It has a great feel when you walk in and everyone seems so happy to see you. The Diner has also been around for a long time- and it is a beautiful stainless steel and neon construction, yet it has changed ownership over and over...now it is run by coach Ali. I couldn't really see it from my window vantage point so I had to leave out many details and work from a quick early morning sketch. The Diner would make a great subject for painting with it's shiny reflections, curves and angles...(Must add to my list)
Have you ever tried these sundaes in a Cup? They are quiet good- I was eating the red (strawberry) one as I painted. They frankly taste much better than they look.

No comments:

Post a Comment