Friday, June 8, 2007

Mushroom


6.25 x 5.5 x 1.5 inches painted acrylic on paper on wood
I am running around like mad with a million things to do and scattered scraps of lists, lists of lists, receipts, etc...Lots of potential for disaster. We are going out of town tomorrow for the weekend and I want to keep up my Sunday sundae series so I have to pack the oil paints... next to the dry cleaning. And if I forget the cat food, he will be eating WITH the chicks.
My dad has a passion for mushrooms and tries to cultivate them in logs with spores, deep in the woods under dark nets. When we were little he would scrape fungi off trees and turn the frying pans black, filling the kitchen with smoke. Finally my stepmother banished him to the woodstove in his clinic. His daughters would gather around for a taste of his rare cooking skills. My children won't eat mushrooms. I think it is something you acquire a taste for with age or in special circumstances- like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment