Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Dash, dots, duh (map to find my way)



I'm thinking too much about abstraction and chance, perhaps a fallout from my weekend bliss. The MCDC dance where movement was purely about motion, and music was about sound, totally jarred me. Why not paint just about the paint? Leave out the symbols and stories. Make lines about connecting dots. Would that be trite, banal, blissful. personal, hi or low art? What is pertinent today in our culture? Do we crave a story, a way to connect dots? So many of us are isolated, removed, disconnected, and disenfranchised. Perhaps the artist is also lost, and through painting- whether it's about the paint or the story- she can be found.
Acrylic on wood, irregular sides.

2 comments:

  1. Ya TIlly, I am enjoying a trip to your blog gallery today, viewing your depiction of landscapes and cows. YOur comments about connecting the dots, craving a story and does the artist paint to discover the real story touched a chord with me. GLad I visited.
    PAula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought art was all about making money and then investing in the stock market? Now - so perplexed. Jonathan

    ReplyDelete