Saturday, April 26, 2008

Child with suitcase

PAINTED OVER...
Painted on map of California coast with words weaving into the paint. 13 x 8 inches
Though I don't often paint figures, like I have the last few days, the idea of a little girl with suitcase appealed to me. It is the child within who is searching for her place. She looks out to the horizon and finds a map with promises and questions. She stands alone with her stuffed animal and her bags. For the first ten years of my life, my parents moved us around the world. A special suitcase of my own kept my most prized treasures. I had a taste for caviar and loved sweet smelling soaps, and I was fortunate to receive them often as farewell gifts. My sisters know I was pretty prideful of my hoard of Lavender soaps. Then one transatlantic (?) flight my bag disappeared. It has never returned. So...Now I don't practice hoarding luxuries. Instead, I revel in consumption as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment