Follow by Email

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why do we make art?

Why?
Gosh, this is a constant buzz in the back of my head... it's different from the question of what I want my art to be. Here is a "map" called no way around it, that started with a close up of a wing drawing... and became a maze to walk through to the other side... still in process.
So, why did I start this?
- Carolyn Carr, Alice Neel, page 5. "Art was the arena to which Neel retreated when she was confronted with an emotionally troubling situation or an event she could not control. It was the source of her psychic salvation. As she candidly admitted, "the minute I sat in front of a canvas I was happy. Because it was a world, and I could do as I liked in it."
I make art as a way to express things that would make me go mad if I couldn't get them outside of me. I make art to find answers to things that bother me, or gain insights to situations at hand. Most of the time the finished artwork is less important than the act of making it. That is why I so readily sell them inexpensively. I make art almost every single day. It's a way of proving I'm alive, of marking the time as it flies by, of saying something only my soul can speak.
I believe artists make art for a million different reasons. And that's interesting.
Why do you make art?
Post a Comment