Friday, April 2, 2010

A Hammer for Good Friday

SOLD!
I once wrote: "Inconclusiveness permeates this image. I don't know how this will end, and so I paint, grasping for clues."
I PAINTED THIS AND CALLED IT "SPIRITUAL TOOL #3-HAMMER on November 27th, 2007
Told my brother this afternoon that I often do not know what I am painting- what it is about- until at least two years have passed. My paintings are full of personal messages and insight that, revealed in the process and possibly obvious to someone else, slowly sifts its way into my dimwitted conscious.
Tonight I had a possibly enlightened moment in the Good Friday church service. My sister sang a mournful song at the piano and someone cracked a wicked hammer against iron nails. Chills ran up my arms.
What was I thinking? A hammer can be a tool for building and it can also be a symbol for the Crucifixion of Christ. What we build, be it governments or faith or homes, we eventually break down. Our soul has to be strong, strong, strong. Mine can only be strong when I am completely surrendered, humbled, and believe in the wonders of a loving God.
Oh thank God the flowers will bloom this weekend, for it is Easter!
This mournful painting on red is a reminder of what has come before.
Acrylic on canvas, 10 x 8 x 2 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment