Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Money Obsession and current woes

I want to paint more joyous images but looking through time and art history I see the unforgetable fringe characters in paintings of both rural and city scenes. They find their way into these collage and finger painted images... Hunger and exhaustion are taking a toll. The elderly, the mental patient, the addict, and the convicted have limited resources. I heard a lot of their stories. Even the four legged friends have spokespeople. They need some safety net. Will there ever be enough money? Will it be spread equitably? Why should it? How do we judge a society? What role does art play in the lives of the most needy? One answer is in my favorite book for this season is Frederick by Leo Lionni.

Let me bring a little sunshine this winter... it is a small wish, and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment