Thursday, February 17, 2011

Persephone's bath

Torn between a man and her mother, Persephone and her mythological role in the seasons has been a fascinating study for me. Since we have had our first week without fresh snowfall I am beginning to wonder if she isn't getting ready to emerge from her winter marriage chamber. Half the year she rules side by side her God husband in the underworld. The other half she toils with her mother above ground, gracefully manifesting the spring-summer-and-fall cycle of nature.
There are many variations to the story and the actions of Persephone aren't cut and dried. The fateful taste of the pomegranate, or "love apple", that condemns Persephone, (and our climate), to spend half a year in the realm of death, mirrors the bite Eve craved of the fruit of the tree of Knowledge that condemned her and Adam to painful separation from God and the garden. I believe these stories exist to teach us some truths about cycles and our physical and existential hungers.
Through more reading and painting, I learn that the only route to peace comes through patience, acceptance, and faith. But I don't mean to preach. I just want to paint the hope that soon spring will arrive here.
Mixed media- charcoal and acrylic paint on paper, 16 x 6 inches.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I did my research and I now know Persephone's story. Torn between her mother and a man, indeed. A man with a dark side. If I had my way, the time with the man would be spring and summer and the time with the mother would be the gloomy winter. But the Greeks never consulted me concerning how these things should go. However, if her return to her mother is responsible for bringing the high temperatures and the sun, then I'm forever in her debt. But I think she's heading back down under tonight 'cause the cold and the snow are making a return over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. again, I love this image of the garden ahead to look forward to. I am that woman in the painting. I love the months in anticipation of growth, sprouting, color and warmth....like a love affair in the Spring.

    ReplyDelete