Monday, March 7, 2011

Ice storm aftermath


What a long night of snap, crackle and pop! Trees down everywhere, ice thickly coating every surface and still no phone or electric power...
it's awfully cold!
Roads both ways to the house were closed by fallen trees, and no sign of any crews, (they are working hard on top of the mountain)- so a few of my neighbors got together and we spent the afternoon clearing out the driveways and the roads. I'm bummed that I had to cancel my afternoon class in Poughkeepsie. With the winds still strong and limbs dangling, and until I get power, I just didn't feel confident setting off on a long drive and returning after dark.



(ndp)

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that was all happening just 13 miles away from me. We had only rain.

    But Ihit the road about 3pm yesterday afternoon (going to a client) and I went through Millerton and noticed the electricity was out. It appeared to be on in Amenia. So I didn't pay much attention.
    But what I did pay attention to was the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen.

    Every tree, bush, grassy expanse, power line (and I mean EVERY) was crystalized with ice and with the sun shining on everything it looked like a magical kingdom of some sort.

    It was simply amazing and it continued from Millerton to Millbrook. There was nowhere you could look without seeing expanse after expanse of a world made of crystal.
    I'm so sorry that what I was seeing as something so beautiful and exciting was being viewed so very differently by you.
    I hope things are somewhat back to normal today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES- IT LOOKS LIKE NARNIA! Power came on Wednesday and I am feeling a bit better. This has been a wild winter!

    ReplyDelete