Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rcommending this movie!


Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(1927)

Director F.W. Murnau's emotional odyssey stars George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor as a country couple whose marriage is threatened when O'Brien falls prey to cosmopolitan temptress Margaret Livingston's feminine wiles. Imbued with an intoxicating ambiance in style and substance, the lyrical silent film -- which is, by turns, quixotic, blissful, sensual and terrifying -- chalked up Academy Awards for Best Actress (Gaynor) and Best Cinematography.

Available on netflix.

Don't let it terrify you that it is 2 hours and 58 minutes long... it absolutely flies by, though I did stop it halfway and take a phone call. This was recommended to me by my friend Kylie and she told me, " It is my favorite silent movie and it was also the first movie to win an Oscar for art direction-- before that, there was no category, so they created one called "Creative Excellence"."

It is so worth it to see. If you do, tell me what you think.


The 5 x 5 inch painting is one from my divorce document series.

No comments:

Post a Comment