Thursday, May 17, 2012

Heart and the necessity of loss

It is the kind of thing Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter Ann Kidd Taylor talk about in Traveling with Pomegranates, a book I just finished. Sue is just turning 51 and going through changes while adjusting to a new role in her adult child's life. Ann is dealing with rejection from graduate school and uncertainty with her purpose in life. The characters totally resonated with me and my experience of having to let go before I can continue on and to have faith in the face of uncertainty. I guess that is how we grow... we have to let go of expectations, the past, and our youth.
I do have faith that everything will work out.

Another thing about the book- it was a nice story woven in the voices of mother and daughter, and through their musings, it revealed how they came to strength by appealing to the divine wisdom of Women. It started by paralleling the myths of Persephone and Demeter, then appreciating, through art, the sacrifices and gifts of Athena and Hestia, and then through pilgrimage and supplication, both writers culminated their transformative insights through the love of Christ's mother, the Madonna.

You have to empty the cup to fill it.
This is part of my series of 50 days of Finding Joy, 4 x 5 inches paint on panel. SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment