Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I went to the island before it went under #sandy #rooseveltislandpark

New York has a new state park! It wraps the southernmost tip of Roosevelt Island, (once Welfare Island), and it features a giant bust of the visionary president sculpted by my great step grandfather, Jo Davidson.
It gave me goosebumps to see the head so well placed. What a wonderful thing for Jo.

FDR lived from 1882-1945 so you can imagine or may have studied what he lived through as far as wars, depressions, crisis, etc.  Looking into his kind of tired face, I wondered, "can this 2012 presidential election claim to have anyone with FDR's foresight, patronage, and brevity? One of his most famous speeches was "Be sincere; be brief; be seated."

 
The people at the Kahn designed park, even on a cloudy day, enjoy the spot. 
The views of the city were fascinating, and the atmosphere was of respectful reverie.
I will be brief: "So glad to have been there."

No comments:

Post a Comment