Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunset on the solstice (and Kampong between)


Lovely day... fantastic trip to the Kampong...with a practically private tour of the grounds and labs.
Then a group of artists painted the sky from the rooftop of Jackie's studio. Lots of fun and laughter!

A personal highlight of my time at Kampong was seeing the original grandmother poinciana tree. Planted by Marian Fairchild in 1917, she was the first of it's kind in the USA. Most of Miami's older poincianas all came from the seeds of this tree.
I also really liked David Fairchild's office/writing studio. It had all cork-like press board walls and ceilings so he could pin up all the visual pictures he wanted. There was also a picture of him at work in, what to me looked like, swim trunks. And I totally get it! I have days like that in my studio too!!!
There were 65 varieties of ripening mango trees. I loved this Calabash and coconut pairing. It is totally worth the price for the tour. Membership to the Kampong starts at $150.


No comments:

Post a Comment