Tuesday, March 10, 2015

What Teachers Create exhibition opening downtown Miami

There has been a long standing worry that artists who can create, do, and those who can't, teach. Here is an exhibition given to honor those art teachers who do, in fact, create! Lord knows I burn both ends of the candle, trying to be the best teacher... a really present teacher, and also an investigating studio-rent-paying artist. It is not always easy, but I know I can't do one without the other.  I find my purpose in both the classroom and alone in the studio. It is what feeds me daily.

I was nominated by a student for the jury pool and got in! So this Thursday, the 12th of March, is the opening reception with one of my recent nautical map paintings included. The painting, called Soundings in Feet 2, (detail above), is of an X-rayed high heeled foot on a coastal map. My colleague Gayle said, "what a clever and interesting juxtoposition of coastal, cosmopolitan Miami women in heels with the nautical... a statement of reality ( locations/ soundings) on many levels (heels). So many women in Miami come from abroad ... and (all seem to be) wearing heels!" So it is not just about me being on my feet all day!

The Art Educators Appreciation show is at the Art Institute of  Miami international University of Art and Design. It runs from March 5th to the 31st, with the reception on the 12th from 5-8pm. 1501 Biscayne Blvd., Suite 100, Miami 
I plan on heading downtown on the Metro rail, which has a stop right near there. Hope to see a good crowd! All in heels?

No comments:

Post a Comment