Saturday, September 24, 2016

Call me "Pictor Celerrimus"

Me painting Wings
One of my talents is that I can paint fast. I have always wanted to try one of the "1, 2, 3,draw" type of contests and, with that in mind, I have entered a talent show later this week where I will have 3 minutes to paint a portrait. My subject will be singing a song that will last the time I need to create a suitable likeness of him. It should be a real lark!
In my research of Lucas Cranach as my ancestral grandfather and artistic muse, I was delighted to find out that he was also talented with a speedy brush. Called "Pictor Celerrimus" or "fast brush", Lucas Cranach was granted a crest in 1508 by the Saxon Elector Friedrich The Wise that was emblematic of his speed- a winged serpent! Cranach used the winged serpent to sign his paintings, prints, and public works that were created from his workshop. After his 24 year old eldest son Hans died in 1537, the workshop, carried on by the second son, Lucas the Younger, altered  the wings of the serpent from a wide spread to softly folded back. 
Ever prolific, and living into his 80's, fifteen hundred paintings exist that can be traced to his workshop! In addition Cranach had one of the earliest printing presses and printed millions of illustrated pamphlets during the Reformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment