Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Guest book treasures


What about the tradition of keeping a guest book?
My lovely family relishes story. I recently spent some insightful evenings at the table discussing the lives of great uncles and musing on the escapades of heroic aunts. As I do with every trip to France, I miss my grannie Zabet and papa Jacques . Since I was a baby, I passed through their living rooms and learned to appreciate the art history on the walls and attend to the interesting friends in their salon.

I was going through my grandmothers guest book and found this sketch by one of my favorite artists, Alice Neel! It's double portraits in pen of grannie and papa Jacques! Signed and dated 1965.
great line on Jacques jaw!

My grannie was a little harder for Neel to catch

No comments:

Post a Comment