Tuesday, October 15, 2019

The importance of writing (and illustrating) our art history book

Wouldn't it be cool if I wrote down the stories that have come down through the family tree and have helped shape world histories? I feel like, in doing so, I would find my place and even give validation to my perspective...as well as share some pretty wild tales.
It's about perspective.
As a woman in a society increasingly bent on marginalizing our story and removing our rights over our own bodies, I want to be the one to tell the story! Those who write history, it is said, are the champions of the times. So much of the history is about men. I guess that is why it is called "HIS story". I am tired of being told. I am sick of learning about another well respected and successful female artist who is systematically wiped out of the records after her death. I mistrust the historians of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment