Sunday, September 23, 2012

Peacocks are nature's exuberant doodles

One of the things I love about this area of Miami, but find myself taking for granted, is the population of wild peacocks that roam the school campus. They walk across brick paths, hop down from the wide oak tree branches and roost on the patio awning outside my class. Their sturdy little legs remind me of the turkeys we used to raise up north. I see them as glittery turkeys. They shimmer even on the dullest days, and if I start to not be aware of them anymore, it would be a crime! A lot of things that stopped me in my tracks and took my breath away a year ago, are accepted as a visual normal for me now. (Isn't that something?!) Tomorrow I will salute the bird of paradise, the golden orb spiders in their silvery giant webs, the Bismark palms so blue grey against the other trees, the checkerd lizards and the iridescent turkeys.
This doodle was done in color pencil on a "print" lifted off the bottom of the art sink when the paint wasn't exactly draining well.

No comments:

Post a Comment