Sunday, July 1, 2012

memorial for a wonderful woman




Yesterday afternoon and last night I was able to join the family and friends of my first grade teacher, and celebrate her 91 years of life. She was more than just a teacher. Her family embraced mine, and she threw my ninth birthday party, sewed costumes for evening skits, and inspired me to find that snow-blowing -fake-Xmas-tree. Also, she was one of the first adults outside the family that I trusted and wanted to please. I worked as a young scholar for her satisfaction and she was always there, responding with praise I can recall to this day, 40-something years later! It is safe to say she launched me as a life-long student.
She was really special and enjoyed life to it's fullest. You could see that in the crowd that gathered that was of all ages and half Haitian. You could see that in the family- her three sons and two daughters with their kids- all very rich in love- and in the pictures- capturing this inspiring grandmother, teacher, mother, friend, and mentor laughing and raising to the challenges of living overseas, on a boat, in a third world country. At the end of the evening, as I was leaving, her sons launched balloons in the night and gave thanks for her kind spirit. I am so pleased that her daughters actually found me and that I was able to be a part of this sweet farewell celebration.

1 comment:

  1. WOW -that is so touching and my heart cries and sighs about life + death.

    ReplyDelete