Friday, July 2, 2010

Thank God for Therapy

Life as we know it is a roller coaster and sometimes the only retreat we get is an hour session "on the couch". My mother got us all started when we were absorbing the effects of her own life choices. She made us go. Sometimes I really resented it and I just spaced out, played bored games or told fantastic stories... but when HER therapist told her as long as I kept painting, no matter how disturbing and fearful the images made her, I would be alright, I just fell into it with more acceptance. Now I check in once or twice a month to see that my cart is still on the track. I have the same issues I always had, but they are more manageable with a friend/professional to talk them over.
I wouldn't have gotten to this point, almost, almost guilt-free and strong, without help.

3 comments:

  1. I love the phrase about checking that your cart is still on the trck. My husband calls it Check Above the Neck. His words are more for an every 5 year visit though, not more frequent maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd go crazy if we looked too closely at everything... There is a time to veil the eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to look too closely at everything!..I now try to not take anything personally, even though it may feel like it. People behave and do things purely on their. It sets you free. BTW, I like the new painting on pil.....

    ReplyDelete