Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The chickens are gone

sold
They left tonight. We carefully grabbed each one with a blanket and I was able to carry them quietly to the back of the truck where a transport cage waited... and I told them, in my daily crooning voice, about how happy they are going to be in their new home. I knew it had to happen- but I had no idea this morning that it would be the last time I'd wake to the rooster crow.
Sad.
I guess I have to believe I am going to be happy in my new home too.
Encaustic hen on paper, 6 x 8 inches. 2008

1 comment:

  1. OK, sweetie --- now you've done it. For the first time since I learned you were leaving you had me in tears. I am so glad I didn't have to witness the scene and I know my heart would now be broken. You are good and brave and strong .... and I am not!

    ReplyDelete