Saturday, September 8, 2018

Another one on the pile

The years seem to be adding up. I just closed the last pages in my summer sketchbook and tossed it onto the pile from the last few years...
I've kept my sketchbooks continually since 1979, when I entered college, but only since I started teaching full time, in the fall of 2011, did I start re-purposing ex-library books for summer documenting.
 They have become a place for me to note in detail my days of liberty, and to experiment in paint and collage in ways I might not on a bigger platform. Intimate in size, the sketchbooks travel easily and can be added to in public places without much notice. They document my love of travel, my sons, and life on Home Farm. Filled with portraits of friends (some who have died), notes about what art is, quotes to inspire, and the light on places I love, the sketchbooks show that I am pilgrim, mother, daughter, and artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment