Thursday, January 3, 2019

Cleaning up

Sometimes creativity is abut straightening up and tossing out. I am puttering through my vacation days, using any motivation to clear up computer files, thin out the closets, and cull the best 2018 photos for the album. I've logged all my financial auto deductions in one place, and found matching lids to each storage bowl. Cleaning up is the theme as I move like a lawn mower through the Christmas holiday decorations. Two days ago Michael and I spent 3 hours in concert and speechless cleaning the apartment from ceiling to walls to floors. Thank goodness it is a small place! The sense of satisfaction was huge when we plopped down onto the freshly-warm-from-the-dryer sheets at the end of it.

Visiting my son in Mobile just before Christmas, he asked me to help organize his clothes in the spare room, transferring them from boxes, bins, and piles into fresh from Goodwill dressers. I loved the job of smoothing out his shirts and folding everything carefully, of organizing the pants into types (kahki, jeans, work, sweats, shorts), and placing them into drawers, tossing the holey socks and stretched out underwear, and trying to pair the loose socks. It was a perfect job for me to preen a little, groom a little, nurture a little of my grown up man-child. Here are some almost before, and after pictures.

I would have liked to give the dresser a coat of paint, but I am on a painting fast. No painting now for over a week, so I can feel what it is like not to be addicted or obsessed... so I can clean myself up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment