Monday, December 9, 2019

Participating in the Lab Space art show, "Holiday", that is strikingly original and wall-to-wall untamed.


If you are curious and fascinated by whimsy or just need to address the bit of winter blues and add some swing into your life, be sure to shop at the LabSpace Holiday group show in Hillsdale NY. It opened this weekend and the event was so packed you could hardly move. Squeezing between bodies, I was able to delicately circumnavigate the small two-room gallery, twice. The 200+ works are all under 12 x 12 inches and between 100 and 800 dollars and they pack a wild punch.  The variety is astounding and guaranteed to be a pleasure. There are drawings, paintings and sculptures. It’s a show full of creative freedom and syncopation that reflects the curatorial style of Julie Torres and EllenLetcher. 
Several people deep to get to the wall




I was thrilled to have my Starry Night Traffic Jam hanging low by the knees. It was in good company. This gallery space has brought together the art community of players into the hamlet in southeastern Columbia county. The hot gallery is known for presenting quirky and colorful works by new artists with jaunty mixes of more established studios. The openings are intellectually rich and youthful. I spoke with a young man, clad in Carhart, flannel and steeled-toe work boots. Asking if he was an artist, he said no, just curious. When I asked him to point out his favorite, he pointed to two works and used the words, “delectable” and “spiritual” in regards to technique and affect.
It was not lost on me that this was the closing of Art Basil, the favorite art week in Miami where many of my friends were immersed in the art world. Looking around the Lab, I laughed at the difference to what I imagine is just 1400 miles south. I felt so happy to be here enjoying a show.
Michael showing off his work

Foot fashion

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment