Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Look at the bright side: the swing


6 x 12 acrylic on wood
For years I have been lucky to stay at home each summer with my kids- and I have soaked in the delights of whole days at the pond surrounded by laughter, insect buzzing, splashing, joking, the tinkling of dad’s fountains, and my mental diversion limited to judging dive or belly flop performances, helping young ones catch tadpoles (from a safe distance), slathering on sunblock across sharp shoulder blades, carving up watermelons, forgetting all about the house chores, the phone calls, the need to be anywhere else at all. It is divine surrender.
But the transition is hell. The kids suddenly crisscross my planner and wreak havoc on my daily plans. Appointments need to be made, then changed. My regular hectic and productive pace needs to slow down. Like this swing in the grandparents backyard. We've all been on it. And it is waiting...

3 comments:

  1. oooh, like it. Ive got 3 weeks until my boys are home all day - invading my studio time!! eeek

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, clearly the swing is about balance. And it's about taking turns and needing an occasional push.
    Thank you. I promise to give myself studio time and take the work seriously, even though I'm at the beginning of this adventure and could easily just give it up. Did you know your art could have such impact?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling completly crazy...moments of acceptance followed by despair. There is no choice but to resign myself to it. Good luck to you all. Any advice would be appreciated too!

    ReplyDelete