Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Privacy

A tumble of questions abound. Is the bathtub just another bed? What does water symbolize? Do the ribs read as ribs? How about the trees in the forest? Where is my head? What's the button glued to the surface there for? Can the whole thing be an abstraction? Does it need to mean anything? Why did I paint it?

Since the work started on a black primed surface, I liked the brightness of the yellows and white's that came through the strokes of my brush. The woods outside my studio window fell reflected on the surface of a jar of water. Those two things were the joy and motivation for the painting.

Though I love people and strive to be a communitarian, I also thrive in isolation. Sometimes the artist in me becomes my own best company, I guess!

Mixed media on paper board.
8.5 x 11 inches

1 comment:

  1. oh, i'm the same. i love being with people, but i need LARGE chunks of time alone to get my skin back on (hee hee - is that you in the tub? looks like you need to get your skin back on, too! :^)hey, i have a big bathtub occuring in my latest drawing project! synchronicity...

    ReplyDelete