Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thinking of Alaska

I remember lugging suitcases after suitcases from pit stop to pit stop and noticing that my sons never once changed their clothes! When I threatened to burn their khaki pants, they responded in horror and protest. When I suggested I cut them up and make paper out of the pants, my sons readily agreed. So that was the brilliance behind a brief thought to do a series of paintings of Alaska on the seat of my son's pants. If you look closely you can see larger chunks of hem and even a zipper fragment in the paper. The baby eaglet in nest, the mother & son bears at water's edge, the avian rookery, and the bald eagle totem were all subjects for paintings I did when returning from a summer trip to Alaska. Then they went in a drawer... 9 years ago. Not sure what to do with them now- maybe apply for a residency up there and try it again? That's if I don't get a job, like I am supposed to!
The paintings range in size from 8.5 x 6.5 inches to 11 x 7 inches.



1 comment:

  1. or .... you could come along with me when I go back in June.

    What I see in your paintings rivals what I saw with my eyes --- perhaps it would make sense (and surely be a lot cheaper) if, instead of doing another cruise this year, I just came over and spent some time in your studio.

    ReplyDelete