Monday, May 14, 2012

Feeling screwed?

After thinking I had negotiated an art sale, the buyer said "Hello Elizabeth
            Price is very Fine With Me payment is very comfortable with me through certified check and my shipping agent would be responsible for pick up please let me know if that's fine  by you..." I explained that the 6 x 6 inch unframed panel could be mailed through US mail (domestic) for about $3. He insisted. I said alright, "mail me your check, though this feels like a scam", and the response I got later that evening was, "forget the deal".

Now I wonder... Do real buyers of small works of art (this was $92) use shipping agents? Did I just blow off a good patron? I don't feel good about this, and yet, my gut told me it was probably a screwy deal to begin with. So many of my artist friends have been scammed, I've got to be wary. But I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. Mostly I feel sorry for the state of the communication at hand. I'd love to see the art lovers face to face. Imagine that!

1 comment:

  1. I vote scam. The shipping agent is probably the Nigerian prince who wants to use my American bank account to keep his money in a safe place. Obviously, this person knows very little about American banks.

    You done good. Now stop feeling guilty about not giving in to a thief. They are NOT nice people.

    ReplyDelete