Sunday, December 9, 2012

This years favorites

I only caught 5 fairs- Basel, Scope, Miami Art, Projects and Aqua. Last year I think I tried 11- but was a walking Zombie through most of it. Honestly, I was just too appreciative of the weather outside and the comforts of my patio to do any more. While on task like a good art devotee, I enjoyed strolling past hundreds of booths of art from all parts of the world. In the relative comfort of my sketchers, I was able to travel back through art history and admire Chagall wedding anniversary paintings, take a moment in front of a couple Thiebauds (RIP) and stand in admiration of some newer artists like Paul Wackers at Eleanore Hartwood Gallery (Aqua) and at Scope I forget which gallery...
I am not going to perseverate on the bad art. We can take for granted that there is always an abundance of bad art at any of these fairs.
 I over heard one person say, "that kind of art makes me want to vomit", and, not 2 minutes later, another viewer standing at the same spot, exclaim, "Now that is what I call art". This Jean M. Basquiat references the Cardiff Giant. Though it is now in the Cooperstown Museum, my mom tells stories of living with the giant in their playroom. So I liked this for mom. Basquiat's works are interesting to me. I can't figure out how to use them as an instructional tool- You can't teach a Basquiat (I don't think)...his work was so intuitive and the original paintings are layered and scratched in ways any reproduction does not do justice. They have to be experienced in real life.
 Wayne Thiebauld is a favorite of mine for luscious paint. His last series was inspired by the California landscape. I liked the sweet little one, (there were bigger ones), and thought it would look nice in my living room
Lots of the art made me laugh, some brought me a story of my own life, some were insightful and hinted at brilliant ways to re-frame my life.  These are made of steel. Love the pedestals too.
 Laurent Craste- Ornament and Crime II, glazed porcelain and hammer. $4500.
 My sons would get a kick out of this bronze work by Patrick Berube.
 This tiny Scott Prior Snowman captures a winter up north. I love it. $4900. William Baczek Fine Art in Northhampton, Massachusetts.
 Can you tell this is a map of the U.S.A.?
 This is more readable in a photo.
Some work just spoke to the poetry of art- the editing possibilities of depicting light. Love this small kitchen series by Benny Fountain.
No time to write more...have to run-again.

No comments:

Post a Comment