Sunday, December 9, 2007

Shovel #2 with vines


I am not sure what inspired this one. Look closely at the sewn words in the painting, notice the paint is layered in whispy brushstrokes. It has been a hard couple of days. I've been painting through tears. That changes the view a little to the more vague end of the spectrum. This shovel needed a little hope. As we slide toward the darkest days of the year, I tried to imagine the light returning. Having a positive outlook takes practice- for some it may come naturally, but my friend Steve says you can cultivate it. He uses self-hypnosis. I guess my painting is a stab at being positive. Serendipitously, a fortune cookie from Friday says: the hard work you do today will reap easy rewards tomorrow. Ha! We'll see, won't we. 15 x 11 inches. Acrylic and sewn paper

1 comment: