Tuesday, February 17, 2009

FOR the love of Art show




Here is Mimi in front of her installation.
Oh My gosh I am just recovering from Sunday's opening bash. We think there were 1500 people at the event- I know I didn't move far, never got a glass of wine and came home with a sore throat from talking talking talking. It was FUN!!!!
Here is Leslie talking with Kate.
The show is up for another month- open on weekends, 12- 4 p.m..I will be gallery sitting Saturday the 28th of the month with Camilo Rojas if you want to visit at the same time as checking out great art. I am so proud of the artists in our region- They are creating thought provoking works. I was able, as curator, to include two daily painters- Gretchen Kelly from www.dailypainters.com, and Kate Vrijmoet who recently completed 50 giant portrait paintings in 50 days. I also brought in Camilo Rojas, video artist and professor at DCC, as well as Laura Moriarty, my encaustic instructor last July at R&F in Kingston, and the works of a personal favorite, Leslie Pelino. I was impressed by the professionalism of some of the artists and how they worked the crowd through out the opening event. Leslie came dressed wildly like her work and she roamed the galleries laughing and greeting everybody. The way she looked made her easily identifiable as one of the artists. The other artists I was most impressed with was Mimi CjikaGraminski who stood by her work the whole three hours greeting everybody, smiling constantly, and adding information to their processing. People were sharing their impressions and her work was often cited as a favorite. I didn't even realise Mimi's young son and husband were around. They let her do her job and were enjoying the whole show in their own way. Please try to see the show.Last photo is me and my son Max! (His favorite art piece was Laura Moriarty's encaustic SWAG)

No comments:

Post a Comment