Friday, May 22, 2009

Grayer and Wiser, Time

SOLD
There has been a lot of focus on age and aging in our house these last few days. My eldest son (who WILL graduate high school this weekend!) turns 18 in a few weeks. He feels the liberation of it in his bones. It brings back memories to me of that summer when I turned 18 and had the car keys in my hand and a soft breeze in my hair. He has the world in it's widest sense.
My father-in-law, on the other hand, is struggling with his age. His 84th birthday is on Tuesday and he just shakes his head at the mysterious new limitations to his movements. His world is shrinking to fit a chair, a beam of sunshine, and his cane. I spent a couple hours yesterday driving him for his lotto tickets, and bill paying, and after two hours he was exhausted and eager to get back to his window seat at the rehab center.
I feel caught between the two polar ages. I want great things. I also want normalcy and peace. As much as I can identify with my son and my father-in-law, I feel as though MY age is the wondrous adventure of a lifetime.
9.5 x 9.5 inches
This is a piece started from a recycled antler painting that I cut up and joined with text from Los Angeles Times newspaper headlines.

1 comment:

  1. Tilly - I haven't checked in in a long while - whew, I hope that things are settling down for you a bit! Being an artist and a mother and a caregiver is crazy-making, isn't it? I love seeing how you use your art to wrestle with it all!!!

    ReplyDelete