Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Two Canoes


While celebrating 22 years married, this painting took me a few days to really attack. 9 x 9 inches paint and headline on panel. This is more than just "two canoes". It is the metaphor used by my husband to describe a perfect marriage- we would float down the rivers of Life side by side, neither leaning or dragging the other one with them. I must confess that there were times that I felt MY canoe had all the kids, their grandpa, the pets, and... and was loaded to near collapse. And his canoe looked roomy as ever! Other times I've watched with flimsy detachment as his canoe foundered in a whirlpool of disaster. I am not sure today if these canoes are grounded or about to be swamped by the next incoming wave. But it doesn't feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment