Thursday, June 14, 2018

Portraits of classrooms

...and of teachers who inspire! This series in progress was started as I said goodbye to some colleagues for the summer. Many of them, who are returning, will be relocating to new classrooms (so lucky) and leaving the Art Compound region of the campus. We have been located in trailers, "portable classrooms",  since the 1995 Hurricane Andrew. I wanted to document their spaces before they packed up and left.

I've depicted a Math teacher, a History teacher and a Spanish language teacher. I tried to capture some of the magic of their classroom. In addition I painted a painting of my colleague and partner.
For a year we worked in classrooms side by side. Hired at the last minute to replace an outgoing art teacher, Michael rose to the occasion and really taught. I loved watching how he prepped his classroom, and worked his critiques. We were pretty busy every day and often this painted moment, on the porch of the trailer, unlocking our doors, was the last we saw of each other, till closing down at the end of the day. He will be missed in the fall. (That darn glass aquarium that he dragged over from the science junk pile will still be there, I am sure)

No comments:

Post a Comment