Thursday, October 11, 2018

The Fairchild challenge

the Poinciana tree

detail of the Poinciana seed pod
One of my favorite places to escape to is right down the road at the Fairchild Botanical Gardens. Inside the walled property are rain forests, butterfly pavillions, fruit gardens, desert cacti, waterlillies, lizards and more. I love breathing in the fresh air and marveling at the constant shifts in blossoming species.
Every year Fairchild sponsors educational challenges, "The Fairchild Challenge", for area schools. My school participates with gusto. This week I worked with the science teacher to help two classes create unique and accurate botanical drawings of plants featured inside the Gardens. I love working with other teachers across the curriculum, and being the one to bring in fun art supplies.
My class demo illustrations featured the Poinciana and the Cannonball tree flowers. Both are my favorite, and I think the loveliest species both in the Garden and in our neighborhoods.
The Cannonball tree flower

the Cannon ball tree flower

No comments:

Post a Comment