Monday, November 12, 2018

The Blank Canvas

Some towns have artists paint fiberglass cows, some paint peacocks or guitars. Miami has artists paint the parking meters. We are very much attached to our cars here! (There's very little in public transportation)
So Saturday morning, before the light even cracked the pavement, I found myself staring down the slick primed surfaces of this Miami parking Authority machine. My vine charcoal was useless in sketching out my designs... I took my inspiration from one of the newly completed, and one of my favorite, swooping highways near the airport, the intersections of 836 and 826.

Once I had it fairly well planned on my brown paper, I taped it up to check the scale. The challenging trick was getting the highways to match up after wrapping 360 degrees! You would have thought I had it all planned ahead of time, but Time ran away and I only got the notification of the privilege 7 days earlier.
Seventy two artists submitted designs for the contest. Seven were chosen. Beefree Media was running the show. I was thrilled to be a part of the live painting project once again. My whole life I have struggled with shyness, but give me a brush and some paint, and I can put on a show! It's what I love to do. And I have become pretty darn fast- one of the quickest draws in the market, maybe. (haha) I thought I'd be done by noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment