Sunday, November 4, 2018

Yoga in the Park

One of my #100favFlorida things is the Sundays we spend in the park with friends meditating and doing our yoga practice. I have been going there for the past 7 years and have learned a lot from Peter, theyogawarrior.org 
To be among the trees is where I feel most comfortable in my skin. Miami is a city with a lot of trees- but not necessarily right outside your door. You have to be intentional about being with the trees. You have to search out sites that aren't under assault of construction. Miami is all about real estate and development so that, over the years, lots of my favorite trees in the neighborhood have been removed. When I practice the tree pose I gain inspiration from the energy of the park. I enjoy the rooted feeling of connecting to the earth and the lifted feeling from spreading my "branches" into the air overhead, visually merging my fingers with the leaves and birds.

I consider this to be my church time. While in the park, I meditate on non-violence, praying for compassion, focusing on my breath. I let go of my expectations and practice self-discipline, intention, concentrating on the gifts and movement of my healthy body. I also pay attention to the sounds of the animals, humans, and machines, feeling the breeze, sun, and grass against my skin... it always lifts my spirit and is the best way to start the day and week. It brings me light and gratitude for the love of God, the great Creator.
I had to do 3 paintings to get one that captures the love I have for Sunday Yoga in the Park.
#100favFloridathings

No comments:

Post a Comment