Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bling bling, divorce document #27


I remember insisting I didn't need a fancy engagement ring and urging him to save his money and get a real simple wedding ring. After all, there were more important goals for us- like building his business, and putting him through school. Now I have come to believe that the engagement ring is actually an investment in the partnership- something he puts on the line. Did this thing go wrong because we had off center priorities (read: all about him)(read: she's a damn enabler!)? About 5 years ago my fingers started swelling in the night and my husband used his paramedic emergency scissors to cut the ring off my finger. The pieces today lay in my jewelry box.

4 comments:

  1. So many women make the ring "mistake" with their first marriage. I have noticed though that those same women demand a big honkin' rock with their second marriage! That's how we learn, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! NEVER though of it that way. Been married for 20 years, and my ring no longer fits me - size 5 1/2 back then (can you imagine?) I don't have large fingers now, but I bought a $300 "cheapy" myself to replace it! Maybe I should rethink this as we look forward to the next 20 years ... I won't tell him where I got this idea from as he might change his mind on blogging. :) By the way, is the daily paintings of NY your idea. Should be fun to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say it's always good to mark time with jewelry...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its the size of his sacrifice, not the ring itself, that speaks to his commitment.

    ReplyDelete