Thursday, March 17, 2016

A little Irish snack

Corned Beef and cabbage
We are still loving the different cooking experiments in the kitchen. Did you know that over 90% of all the corned beef in the world today comes from Brazil?! The Irish didn't get to eat corned beef because the landowners were mostly absentee British ranchers, claiming all the best land for cow grazing and exporting the meat products to England. That left the Irish with only small parcels of the worst land- fit only for potato planting. The potato became the dominant crop and when it started to fail because of weevils, blight and bad weather, the British took the tough love route and let the chips fall as they would. My mother's family, way back, came to the United states during the Great Potato Famine. I believe I may be half Irish. But the French and German percentage (on my dad's side) completely overpowers the potato loving side of me. I am feeling sentimental... There were potatoes in with tonight's cabbage. Happy St. Patty's day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment