Friday, March 25, 2016

Connie and the Peace corp

I am so happy for my dear friend Connie who has finished her term in the Peace Corps in Guatemala this week. (My, how time flies). Having had a vision of what she wanted to do with her life, she has found her course. Years ago we watched a 2008 documentary called The Business of being Born. Connie found the main character, a midwife, and spent her winter holiday from college following the woman around Brooklyn. That inspired her to travel the next summer to India, to a particular ashram, to learn about delivering babies. Needing money to help her go next to medical school, Connie signed up for the Peace corps and has been working in rural Guatemala carrying heath tips for all and teaching the local women how to care for their bodies and their families. She has just been accepted to Harvard's pre-Med school!!!!
I painted this picture from the cell phone image Connie sent to me of her first baby delivered in India!
My son Kent is so excited to have her back in his day to day life. The two of them have hopes to make the world a better place.
Painting of my son with his over sized heart. These are paintings from 5 years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment