Saturday, January 18, 2020

Bathtime Painting


painting by P. Bonnard
Soaking in the tub is such a great way to catch up with myself. It is also the time to let go of myself. Inside the hot water, I love musing on how the bath has been effectively depicted in art history.
Since indoor plumbing of the early 19th century, scenes of the solitary bath have been depicted by many artists. My favorites are by Bonnard (1867-1947). Somehow the artist has so melded with the model (his wife), that I don’t feel like an outsider gazing in. I get the perspective of the woman bathing. 
Oil Painting by Bonnard
I love Frida Kahlo's painting,What the Water Gave Me, 1938, where she looses herself in daydreams. 
What the water Gave Me, by Kahlo in 1938

Personally, as I keep soaking, I find myself feeling more like Ophelia by John E. Millais (painted in 1851)
Ophelia (not soaking, but drowned)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment