Sunday, January 12, 2020

Oh, Capernaum* (chaos to my mind now)


The world outside my kitchen sink
I’m having an existentialist crisis because last night I experienced the art of Nicole Labaki. She is a Lebanese actress, screenwriter and film director who in 2018 finished a 2-hour social-realist drama that will shake your soul. At first the award winning Capernaum is hard to watch, but the filming of it is so delightful that I hung in there. And I am so glad that I did. After the credits went by, Michael and I sat in silence for many minutes unable to shake our selves back to the present.
The main actor, a Syrian boy living in Norway, Zaid, is a kid of around 12 years old. His relationship with an Ethiopian baby (actually born of parents from the east and west coast of the African continent) is so sweet and poignant, and evolves to depict a pure and loving brotherhood. Both children are desperate and Zaid is prone to inventive nurturing. The film has a lot of silence, and the emotion in the faces of the children speaks the situation.
Labaki says that the spark of the story came to her late one night as she and her husband (who does the music for the film and agreed to mortgage the house for production costs), were driving home and at a traffic stop. Out the car window a woman was begging with her baby who was so tired he/she could barely stand, yet even at midnight, could not be allowed to sleep. Labaki wondered at the world of the child being limited to the square meter of sidewalk. She was at the time pregnant with her second child and appalled at the way the most vulnerable in our species were treated, at the extent of their maltreatment. For two years she interviewed children in the slums of Lebanon, many of them refugees from Euro-American wars. At the end of every interview she asked them if they were glad to be alive. Most said “no”.
The story is about a kid who tries to save his younger sister from being married off to pay the back rent. The sadness and powerlessness of the situation envelops the movie viewer. Set in Beirut, the story begins in court, where the young boy is trying to sue his parents for having born him. When the judge asks Zaid what he wants from his parents, he says that he wants them to stop having more kids. It is a poignant moment when we pan to the parents who have at least 7 kids and are pregnant with another. From there the story sweeps backwards and is in reality a story about papers, documentation, identification cards and political borders. Without papers, these families are desperate and invisible to all except those who mean to exploit them. 

I don’t want to tell you more. But since I experienced this story I have not felt the same about my work or my life goals. Thoughts fly through my head that I need to do something. Leave this bucolic country home I just landed back in and go to the refugee camps, or at least to the US borders where we lock up children and babies away from their parents. I could work in the prisons in upstate NY with art supplies or do a diaper drive for the Red Cross. Besides giving donations here and there like I always do, WHAT the hell should I do? I feel undeservedly lucky being born American and with economic options, but the stain of crimes done to others for the benefit of our national lifestyle is going to be a longer sentence. It is string of unending moral crimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment