Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Focus Swings Back to Career

For the past 7 months I while I have been busy creating in my studio/writing space, I have also been devising new lesson plans. (It's like I cannot help myself). As an art teacher I think it important to create a nurturing space that encourages students to take risks. I strive to teach them eye-to-hand skills in the traditional crafting techniques of creating art. I absolutely love Betty Edward's book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. It has led to increased skill and confidence in kids whenever I have used it. The process is intense and the results are strongly positive. In addition I want to up my game with digital art, so last fall I took a course at the Art Effect.  I also want to pair the arts with science by teaching data visualization. My brother got me two books by Edward Tufte that are very inspiring. And I want to work with English and literature professors to teach about visual journalism like Maira Kalman.
Though I have been busy I truly miss the classroom and the camaraderie of a community of teachers. I hope I can find a good place soon. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment