Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mother's work

My friend Pamela Shensky gets right to the heart of raising, protecting and then letting go of our children.
When my first born was little I recall telling him that I wasn't "just" his mother. I was an artist. Then...by the time my second child arrived I had surrendered. Now, I know I am a mother first and an artist second.
There isn't a painting in the world that would take precedence over their well being. They are my inspiration and joy. I worry about them all the time. Used to be I could hold them and cure their worries with a kiss. When they went through adolescence I watched them disguise themselves and face the forest of fears. I gave them crayons to draw their self portraits. I let them own their triumphs and become masters of the jungle. Now they are finding their course as young men in a world turned topsy turvy. I don't see them enough, and when we talk on the phone it is of food, politics, and environmental collapse, faith, and muscle, peace and war. They have more questions than I have answers to. Sometimes they go through trauma and don't tell me until long afterwards. I don't know how to mother them. Has there been a book written on how to mother your grown children? How to mother from afar? How to mother when your children are walking away?


4 comments:

  1. Tilly, I'd share this post on my Facebook wall. I think it is brilliant. Add widgets! Kiss, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tilly for mentioning me within the context of such beautiful prose - you are so generous. Also, your sons are beyond handsome - you three are stunning!Send an email when you can so we can catch up. xops

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tilly. Let me tell you, I love my mother more now as an adult. My problems are such that it is only her wisdom and insight that sometimes gets me through...and it is she who carries me, physically, emotionally, spiritually when I am reduced to a rubble by my adult problems. What I wouldn't give for "bandaid and a kiss" problems... and how I hope that when it is my turn to carry her burdens, and that of my children, I am as strong as she is. Keep loving your grown children - they will need you more and more as they age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Tilly! With 5 grown children, I struggle with these questions, too. How to respect their boundaries and privacy and a the same time stay connected and supportive. What a striking trio you make with your two beautiful sons!
    My oldest son Eben has written a book you might find interesting!Born Along the Color Line: The 1933Amenia Conference and the Birth of the Modern Civil Rights Movement by Eben Miller, published by Oxford University Press:
    http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Politics/AmericanPolitics/CivilRights/?view=usa&ci=9780195174557
    It's being featured at Oblong Books :^) Happy New Year and I look forward to reading more about your Florida adventure!!

    ReplyDelete